Check Engine Light in St. Catharines, ON, L2S 0B3
When something is wrong with one of your vehicle's parts, it can be hard to tell right off the bat. Luckily, our vehicles come equipped with a system that alerts us when something is wrong. Through our dashboard lights, our vehicle will show us which area of the car needs to be taken a look at. Whether you drive a Toyota, Honda, Ford, or Hyundai, these dashboard lights have mostly universal appearances.
However, sometimes it is not very obvious what this light is trying to tell us. One dashboard lights that turn on when various parts are malfunctioning is the check engine light. If your check engine light turns on, it is a good idea to observe when the light turns on and if the light is flashing or is steady. Generally speaking, a steady check engine light does not mean the issue is immediately urgent (although you should still get the issue checked out), but if the light is flashing, you should bring your car to an auto repair shop immediately. If you are in St. Catharines, Fonthill, Jordan, Lincoln, Niagara Falls, or nearby, you can come to Boyd Automotive & Tire in Ontario Province. We can determine why your check engine light has turned on and fix the issue efficiently and skillfully.
Here are some reasons your check engine light may have turned on:
- Oxygen sensor failure: Your vehicle's oxygen sensor measures the amount of unburnt oxygen in a car's exhaust system. If this sensor is failing, your engine will keep running but your vehicle will be burning more fuel than usual.
- Loose fuel cap: If your check engine light turns on right after you've gotten gas, it's likely that you just have a loose fuel cap or you forgot to screw it back on.
- Catalytic converter failure: The catalytic converter turns the carbon monoxide produced during the combustion process into carbon dioxide. Getting regular oil changes will help keep the catalytic converter in shape. We at Boyd Automotive & Tire can take care of that for you, along with transmission repair , and oil changes, fluid services and tune-ups.
- Spark plug/ignition coil issues: An ignition coil generates electricity the spark plugs need to ignite the air and fuel mixture in your vehicle's cylinders. If you have a diesel vehicle, you do not have spark plugs or ignition coils.
- Bad spark plug wires: Some signs of bad spark plug wires include idling, a noticeable drop in engine performance, and the check engine light turning on.
- Mass airflow sensor failure: The mass airflow sensor monitors how much air enters the engine. If you are experiencing a rough idle or trouble starting, you can come to Boyd Automotive & Tire so we can check out your mass airflow sensor.
Your expertly trained and ASE certified Shop for Check Engine Light
We at Boyd Automotive & Tire in St. Catharines are experts in all things auto repair. We've been fixing cars since 2002 and our owner Stu Boyd and technicians have decades of combined experience. We can perform a multitude of services on your vehicle, including oil changes, fluid services and tune-ups and transmission repair.
Here are some reasons why you should choose us:
- Locally owned and operated since 2002
- Only OEM and OEM-approved parts/components
- Shuttle on all services, loaner on major service, free towing (limited)
- We have a review score of 5 based on reviews from 5 satisfied customers.
To schedule an appointment with Boyd Automotive & Tire in St. Catharines, give us a call at 905-685-5821 or schedule an appointment online .